Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Blog 6

For this week, we were assigned Autobiography of Red. I'll be honest from the start, I have never really been able to get into any sort of science fiction novel- it's just not a genre that I particularly enjoy... So when I was reading the back of the book and a couple of reviews online about it, I didn't really have a motivational mindset going into it. I didn't quite make it through the entire book, but a good chunk of it. The beginning was somewhat hard to get through- a lot of lists and information about Geryon and his life. And what was the deal with the Apendix A, B, and C stuff? Either I had no clue what was going on or something, but I didn't really see why this needed to be done within the book. I also have a really hard time getting into a book when it's written in poetry form. I've read a few other books like this, but everytime I just seem to either get confused with what is going on, or I get frustrated with it and stop reading.
I did create somewhat of a connection with the main character Geryon- I did feel for him in the fact that he was being abused by his brother and his feeble mother didn't really do anything about it. Geryon is kind of a camera freak and hides behind that to cover what he's really feeling--- I think what he doesn't realize is that he needs to learn to love himself first before he can truly know what love from another feels like.

No comments:

Post a Comment